The mobile service technician has a working knowledge of heavy truck mechanics and in turn, has the unique ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair emergency vehicles at the customer’s location. The nature of the work requires an emphasis on safe work practices, sustained physical effort, troubleshooting, problem solving, attention to detail, customer service and time management. The mobile service technician will work alongside other customer service employees to achieve optimum efficiency and excellent customer service, in keeping with the values and vision of Glick Fire Equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate and reinforce the Glick Fire core values and vision statement.
- Project and assert a favorable image and culture with employees, customers, and vendors.
- Demonstrate by personal example the service excellence and integrity expected from all employees by representing Glick Fire in a professional manner within our company, to the general public, and with other organizations.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with customers, to encourage repeat and referral business.
- Maintain a professional appearance and behavior.
- Perform high-quality work and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction to minimize call-backs.
- Proactively request assistance from manager.
- Report employee issues or commendations to manager.
- Facilitate problem resolution, both internally with co-workers and externally with vendors and customers.
- Recommend new approaches, processes, and procedures to continually improve the efficiency of the Hatfield, Bird-In-Hand, Zelienople, or Mill Hall service departments.
- Diagnose, repair and maintain various types of emergency vehicles, such as pumpers, aerials, ambulances and other vehicles.
- Perform preventative maintenance and inspections on heavy truck chassis and fire components.
- Perform major repairs on fire pump systems, aerial devices, hydraulic systems, braking systems, steering systems, suspensions, charging and cranking systems, drive trains and electrical systems.
- Able to think outside of current circumstances.
- Able to generate ideas and conceive multiple solutions.
- Travel to customer’s sites for repairs and maintenance as needed.
- Perform work as directed by the Branch Manager.
- Ensure quality control to all vehicles in our care and custody.
- Maintain timely customer contact in regard to scheduling and maintenance results.
- Ensure a clean and safe working environment within your service vehicle and on-location.
- Maintain a reliable, clean, organized and well-functioning service vehicle.
- Report employee issues or commendations to supervisor.
- Complete work orders and timecards in a timely fashion.
- Ensure customers are greeted promptly and with respect, either in person or on the phone.
- Demonstrate and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrate proper grammar and spelling.
- Must be detail-oriented and pay close attention to accuracy.
- Demonstrate the ability to work alone and have confidence in decisions.
- Possess excellent efficiency and time management to reduce travel time between jobs.
- These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other related duties may be required or assigned.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS UTILIZED
- Operates various emergency vehicles and equipment.
- Operates computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone and all shop related equipment as needed.
- Operates volt ohm meter, amp meter, pressure gauges, nozzle and repair kits, calibrating tools for engines and brakes, micrometers and dial calipers, precision gauges, inspection and diagnostic equipment.
- Must retain an inventory of personal hand tools, up to and including 1” sockets and wrenches.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- This position requires working knowledge and experience with automotive or heavy-duty truck mechanics, with a preference to heavy-duty trucks.
- Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting abilities.
- Reads and follows simple to complicated instructions, schematics and other information contained in repair manuals or the diagnosis and repair of fire and EMS apparatus and equipment.
- Performs calculations and works with numbers to solve problems.
- Product knowledge and experience understanding technical issues and the ability to apply previous technical experience to solve technical problems.
- Knowledge in methods for obtaining the proper parts needed for repairs and maintenance.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to maintenance and repair activities.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend and verbally communicate instructions in English.
- Ability to read and interpret work orders to determine work to be performed.
- Ability to perform all operations within acceptable quality and time standards.
We obviously have some key requirements in terms of what we are looking for in an employee. Ideally, you will have the following qualifications – but if you don’t check all of the boxes then we’d still like to hear from you if you think you can clearly demonstrate your ability to excel in the role.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years industry experience at an automotive level or heavy-duty truck level; HD truck experience strongly preferred. Will consider others with a strong mechanical background or technical experience.
- PA Commercial Driver’s License (PA CDL) Class B with air brake & tanker endorsement is preferred, a valid driver’s license is required. This is a safety sensitive position subject to US DOT Drug and Alcohol pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, and return to duty testing.
- Must have current Medical Examiner’s Certificate (DOT Medical Card).
- Maintain a Pennsylvania State Inspection license – minimum of a Class 3.
- Maintain A/C Certification (CFC-12/HFC-134a).
- Mechanical knowledge of diesel engines.
- Basic understanding of work order labor time standards.
- Knowledge of engine and transmission diagnostic software.
- Microsoft Office programs – intermediate skills.
- Effective communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent problem-solving skills required.
- Must be a self-starter and have a high level of personal drive for success.
- Ability to work in a high performance, fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to take ownership and responsibility.
- Trustworthy, responsible, punctual, organized and detailed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- This is a safety-sensitive position.
- Work is performed at customer’s location.
- Work is in and around moving vehicles and machinery.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including fire equipment and fire pumps, fire and emergency department vehicles, battery chargers and testers, jacks, air wrenches, mechanic’s tools and diagnostic instruments.
- This position requires extensive walking, bending, twisting, reaching, kneeling, crouching, stooping, pushing, pulling, grasping, crawling and lifting all day to retrieve and replace materials, supplies and inventory or when performing preventative maintenance and repair of vehicles and heavy equipment.
- May be subject to exposure to adverse weather conditions, exhaust fumes, chemical fumes, acid, oil, grease, moving mechanical parts and vibration, noise and hazardous materials and equipment common to heavy truck repair shops.
- Work involves occasional lifting of parts and equipment up to 100 pounds.
- Must be able to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for heavy work.
- Monday through Friday, flexible hours
- Occasional overtime may be required
- No supervisory responsibilities for this position.
- 100% travel
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Glick Fire retains the right to change or assign other responsibilities at any time with or without notice.
Glick Fire is committed to hiring a diverse and qualified workforce. We will not consider any characteristic or category protected by state or federal law in hiring or employment decisions, including but not limited to race, national origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, status as a parent, or genetic information.