The Bird in Hand Service Manager is responsible for operating an efficient service department through leadership, customer retention, cost controls, productive staffing, and maintenance of all records. The position requires supervisory experience and mechanical experience, a strong commitment to outstanding quality and customer service and the ability to lead by example with honesty, integrity and influence. The BIH Service Manager performs these services as both an individual contributor as well as by effectively leading, managing, and coaching a team of highly motivated and skilled employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate and reinforce the Glick Fire core values and vision statement.
- Lead with honesty, integrity and influence.
- Manage and oversee all activities of the BIH Service Department, including Fabrication.
- Demonstrate by personal example the service excellence and integrity expected from all employees by representing Glick Fire in a professional manner within our company, to the general public, and with other organizations.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with customers, to encourage repeat and referral business.
- Project and assert a favorable image and culture with employees, customers, and vendors.
- Actively participate in employee and department meetings.
- Proactively request assistance from Director of Operations.
- Facilitate problem resolution, both internally with employees and externally with vendors and customers.
- Maintain a professional appearance and leadership behavior.
- Recommend new approaches, processes, and procedures to continually improve the efficiency of the Bird-In-Hand, Hatfield, Mill Hall, and Zelienople Shops and Glick Fire.
- Ensure a safe, clean and efficient Service Department that delivers a first-class experience to customers by supporting the vision, mission and values of Glick Fire Equipment.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Shop and Road Technicians by planning, prioritizing, assigning and coordinating work.
- Ensure that Company processes and procedures are adhered to at all levels.
- Maintain the customer satisfaction follow up process including quality control and quick turnaround time.
- Support fire apparatus and ambulance sales departments to ensure the efficient, expedited delivery of new vehicles.
- Support and guide our team of Shop and Road Technicians. Actively train the team to develop knowledge and improve skills.
- Evaluate employee work performance by providing ongoing instruction and input. Prepare performance reviews and facilitate good communication with employees by providing information and obtaining feedback, listening and respecting input, encouraging employee participation, involving employees in decision-making, and directly working with employees to resolve issues as they arise.
- Inspect new apparatus upon arrival from manufacturer. File documentation and initiate contact with account managers and customers.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries in a timely manner.
- Answer incoming customer phone calls as a backup to the Service Writer.
- Ensure customers are greeted promptly and with respect, either in person or on the phone. Handle customer complaints immediately.
- Meet daily with the Service Writer.
- Inspect apparatus when needed and confer with customers on quotes and estimates.
- Dispatch after-hours, emergency road work.
- Process new delivery check-lists and note delivery and warranty dates into Firelinks.
- Actively work together and communicate with Service Writer and Purchasing Manager as it relates to the management of all service work.
- Coordinate update photos and/or inventory of service technician tools – update every six months.
- Oversee and manage the open repair order level and backlog.
- Assume Service Writer responsibilities in his/her absence.
- Monitor PM schedules and ensure that all routine work is completed on time.
- Assist technicians with troubleshooting and identifying needed repairs.
- Ensure all work is completed in compliance with DOT regulations and Glick Fire standards.
- Audit work orders and monitor repairs for quality, accuracy, and repair time.
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized shop environment. Report any accidents/injuries to the Director of Operations immediately.
- Ensure quality control to all vehicles in our care and custody.
- Comply with all Company policies as detailed in the Company Handbook.
- Perform other job-related duties within the scope of the job classification as assigned.
- Assist with transportation of vehicles or drivers to final destinations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Principles, methods and practices pertaining to the operation of an apparatus maintenance and repair facility.
- Principles, methods, materials, equipment, procedures, and practices used in operation, care, maintenance and repair of gasoline and diesel engines and components.
- Working knowledge of heavy-duty trucks and tools and equipment involved with their repair; engines, transmissions, drive train, lubrication systems, hydraulic systems, brake systems, emission systems, computerized diagnostic systems, tires, welding, fabrication, operation of welding fabricating tools and equipment.
- Recordkeeping and reporting procedures including a working knowledge of relevant computer software and hardware.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and compliance pertaining to maintenance and repair operations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of effective performance management, supervision, evaluation and development of employees.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of exemplary customer service.
- Knowledge of budget development and expenditure control.
- Knowledge of techniques and methods used in long-term service planning and facility operations scheduling.
- Must have general knowledge of OSHA and EPA standards.
- Demonstrate ability to lead change initiatives.
- Must possess the ability to adapt to different personalities and management styles.
- Demonstrate problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrate and promote ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate intermediate skill in MS office: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Set and pursue aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and organizing resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement and carry out preventive maintenance programs.
- Estimate time, labor, and materials cost for maintenance and repair projects.
- Collaborate across Company functions; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships, build and work with teams.
- Think creatively and challenge conventional solutions.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills and proven judgment of talent, with an emphasis on developing high performance teams.
- Read and write at the level required for successful job performance.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records, reports, and correspondence using computer system/software.
- Work independently and apply sound judgment and critical thinking skills to make effective decisions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing, in a variety of circumstances.
- Effectively interpret, implement, and enforce applicable provisions of federal, state, and local laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
We obviously have some key requirements in terms of what we are looking for in an employee. Ideally, you will have the following qualifications – but if you don’t check all of the boxes then we’d still like to hear from you if you think you can clearly demonstrate your ability to excel in the role.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- PA Commercial Driver’s License with air brake & tanker endorsement is preferred, a valid driver’s license is required. Must have current Medical Examiner’s Certificate (DOT Physical Card).
- A minimum of five years of experience in the maintenance and repair of heavy-duty vehicles, including a knowledge of materials, methods, principles and techniques of repair and maintenance.
- Excellent business acumen. Previous experience with P&L or Cost Center responsibility.
- Excellent employee and human relations skills. A minimum of three to five years of prior management or supervisory experience required with the ability to identify clear standards and expectations for employee performance, monitor work performance, track performance measures, and plan the work of technicians, including providing clear instructions.
- Excellent computer skills. Ability to learn and use company specific systems.
- Ability to listen, communicate effectively (verbal and written) and resolve conflict with customers and employees.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain composure under stress.
- Highly professional, dependable and demonstrated ability to work alone and have confidence in decisions.
- Must be a self-starter and have a high level of personal drive for success.
- Ability to work in a high performance, fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to take ownership and responsibility.
- Trustworthy, responsible, organized and detailed.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend and verbally communicate instructions in English.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit; talk or hear, in person, in meetings and by telephone; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. Employees are frequently required to walk and stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- HEAVY WORK: Lifting up to 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including fire equipment and fire pumps, fire and emergency department vehicles, battery chargers and testers, jacks, air wrenches, mechanic’s tools and diagnostic instruments.
- Standing and Walking: Standing for extended periods of time and/or walking distances (1 or more miles).
- Sitting: Ability to work in a seated position for extended periods of time.
- Lifting: Ability to safely lift up to 100 pounds; use proper lifting techniques including bending at the knees.
- Climbing: Ability to ascend 10 ft. or more up ladder(s).
- Manual Dexterity: Ability to perform multiple work activities requiring a significant level of physical and mental coordination and manual dexterity; repetitive tasks.
- Visual: Ability required includes close, distance and depth perception; acuity for driving; reading literature; industry warning signs and instruments; and computer screens.
- Mobility: Ability to operate a motor vehicle, and reach, twist, kneel, push, pull, stoop, bend, crouch, crawl and squat.
- Reflexes: Ability to quickly and automatically respond to emergency and safety situations.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret complex data, information and documents; analyze and solve complex policy and operational problems; observe and interpret people and situations; use math and mathematical reasoning; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks with constant interruptions; work under intensive deadlines and interact with customers, employees and management.
Normally, work is performed in an indoor environment: occasionally will be exposed to varying temperatures; regular exposure to exposure to dirt, dust, fumes, gases, paint and noise; potential exposure to hazardous materials and non-hazardous materials. Work is in and around moving vehicles and machinery. Constant contact with employees and the public.
- Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- The position has supervisory responsibilities and is responsible for employee performance management.
- 2% – occasional daytime travel.
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Glick Fire retains the right to change or assign other responsibilities at any time with or without notice.