The preventative maintenance technician has a working knowledge of heavy truck mechanics and will be responsible to perform quality preventative maintenance inspections, services and repairs to ensure apparatus are fully operational. This position has the flexibility of being onsite or mobile in the field. The preventative maintenance technician will work alongside other customer service employees to achieve optimum efficiency and excellent customer service, in keeping with the values and vision of Glick Fire Equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate and reinforce the Glick Fire core values and vision statement.
- Project and assert a favorable image and culture with employees, customers, and vendors.
- Demonstrate by personal example the service excellence and integrity expected from all employees by representing Glick Fire in a professional manner within our company, to the general public, and with other organizations.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with customers, to encourage repeat and referral business.
- Maintain a professional appearance and behavior.
- Perform high-quality work and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction to minimize call-backs.
- Proactively request assistance from manager.
- Report employee issues or commendations to manager.
- Facilitate problem resolution, both internally with co-workers and externally with vendors and customers.
- Recommend new approaches, processes, and procedures to continually improve the efficiency of the Hatfield, Bird-In-Hand, Zelienople, or Mill Hall service departments.
- Ensure customers are greeted promptly and with respect, either in person or on the phone.
- Ensure quality control to all vehicles in our care and custody.
- Maintain timely customer and management contact in regard to maintenance results.
- Perform general maintenance repairs and preventative maintenance services.
- Perform inspections, diagnostics and repairs of electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake and air systems on heavy duty trucks and equipment alongside and with assistance from a Mobile Service Technician.
- Conduct safety checks on apparatus.
- Complete work orders and timecards in a timely fashion and utilizing Glick Fire’s computerized database.
- Perform all operations within acceptable quality and time standards.
- Maintain and wear all required safety and health personal protective equipment.
- Demonstrate and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Must have working knowledge of a computer.
- Must be detail-oriented and pay close attention to accuracy.
- Demonstrate proper grammar and spelling.
- Demonstrate the ability to work alone, have confidence in decisions and possess excellent time management.
- Perform other related duties and activities as assigned.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS UTILIZED
- Operates various emergency vehicles and equipment on an as-needed basis (for testing purposes).
- Operates computer, copy machine, fax machine, phone and all shop related equipment as needed.
- Operates volt ohm meter, amp meter, pressure gauges, nozzle and repair kits, calibrating tools for engines and brakes, micrometers and dial calipers, precision gauges, inspection and diagnostic equipment.
- Must retain an inventory of personal hand tools, up to and including 1” sockets and wrenches.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- This position requires working knowledge and experience with automotive or heavy-duty truck mechanics, with a preference to heavy-duty trucks.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative skills.
- Critical thinking skills to assess damage and determine how to make repairs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain composure under stress.
- Must be quality conscious, detail-oriented and pay close attention to accuracy.
- Highly professional, dependable and demonstrated ability to work alone and have confidence in decisions.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend and verbally communicate instructions in English.
- Ability to read and interpret work orders to determine work to be performed.
We obviously have some key requirements in terms of what we are looking for in an employee. Ideally, you will have the following qualifications – but if you don’t check all of the boxes then we’d still like to hear from you if you think you can clearly demonstrate your ability to excel in the role.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- A minimum of 1 to 3 years of experience with heavy trucks, including fire apparatus.
- PA Commercial Driver’s License (PA CDL) Class B with air brake & tanker endorsement is required or must be obtained within one (1) year of employment onboarding. This is a safety sensitive position subject to US DOT Drug and Alcohol pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and return to duty testing.
- Must have current Medical Examiner’s Certificate (DOT Medical Card) or must be obtained within six (6) months of employment onboarding.
- Pennsylvania State Inspection license – minimum of a Class 3 is required or must be obtained within one (1) year of employment onboarding.
- Maintain A/C Certification (CFC-12/HFC-134a) or must be obtained within one (1) year of employment onboarding.
- Mechanical knowledge of diesel engines.
- Knowledge of engine and transmission diagnostic software.
- Microsoft Office programs – intermediate skills.
- Effective communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent problem-solving skills required.
- Must be a self-starter and have a high level of personal drive for success.
- Ability to work in a high performance, fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to take ownership and responsibility.
- Trustworthy, responsible, organized and detailed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. max with frequent lifting and/or carrying of articles.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including fire equipment and fire pumps, fire and emergency department vehicles, battery chargers and testers, jacks, air wrenches, mechanic’s tools and diagnostic instruments.
- Standing and Walking: Standing for extended periods of time and/or walking distances (1 or more miles).
- Sitting: Ability to work in a seated position for extended periods of time.
- Lifting: Ability to safely lift up to 100 pounds; use proper lifting techniques including bending at the knees.
- Climbing: Ability to ascend 10 ft. or more up ladder(s).
- Manual Dexterity: Ability to perform multiple work activities requiring a significant level of physical and mental coordination and manual dexterity; repetitive tasks.
- Visual: Ability required includes close, distance and depth perception; acuity for driving; reading literature; industry warning signs and instruments; and computer screens.
- Mobility: Ability to operate a motor vehicle, and reach, push, pull, stoop, bend, and squat.
- Reflexes: Ability to quickly and automatically respond to emergency and safety situations.
- Work is performed at branch facility or customer’s location.
- May be subject to exposure to adverse weather conditions, exhaust fumes, chemical fumes, acid, oil, grease, moving mechanical parts and vibration, noise and hazardous materials and equipment common to heavy truck repair shops.
- Work is in and around moving vehicles and machinery.
- Monday through Friday, flexible hours
- Occasional nights and weekends
- Occasional overtime may be required
- No supervisory responsibilities for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Glick Fire retains the right to change or assign other responsibilities at any time with or without notice.
Glick Fire is committed to hiring a diverse and qualified workforce. We will not consider any characteristic or category protected by state or federal law in hiring or employment decisions, including but not limited to race, national origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, status as a parent, or genetic information.