This position is responsible for all parts sales – over the counter, incoming phone calls, faxes and emailed requests, in addition to shipping and receiving, inventory management, and providing outstanding customer service to co-workers, customers and vendors. The parts and shipping clerk will work alongside other customer service employees to achieve optimum efficiency and excellency in customer service, in keeping with the values and vision of Glick Fire Equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate and reinforce the Glick Fire core values and vision statement.
- Project and assert a favorable image and culture with employees, customers, and vendors.
- Demonstrate by personal example the service excellence and integrity expected from all employees by representing Glick Fire in a professional manner within our company, to the general public, and with other organizations.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with customers, to encourage repeat and referral business.
- Maintain a professional appearance and behavior.
- Proactively request assistance from manager.
- Report employee commendations or issues to manager.
- Facilitate problem resolution, both internally with co-workers and externally with vendors and customers.
- Recommend new approaches, processes, and procedures to continually improve the efficiency of the Parts Department and Glick Fire.
- Provide total customer satisfaction to ensure a standard of customer service that exceeds customer and management expectations.
- Ensure customers are greeted promptly and with respect, in person and on the phone.
- Handle all incoming emails, phone calls and walk-in customers for retail parts sales.
- Generate and follow through with quotes, sales orders, ordering parts and invoicing customers.
- Follow up on phone calls, quotes, sales orders, invoicing, returns and shipments.
- Handle all Pierce parts issues with the exception of warranty parts.
- Formulate and process sales orders for parts.
- Identify parts on apparatus (specifically fire trucks and ambulances).
- Assist customers in selecting the correct part(s) when part number is not known.
- Work closely with vendors to solve parts problems encountered by customers.
- Ensure accuracy and reliability of data entered into inventory software system.
- Prep and palletize outgoing freight shipments.
- Report building and equipment repair needs to manager.
- Complete work orders and timecards in a timely fashion.
- Work collaboratively within the company to advance values of teamwork, innovation, customer service, professional development and meeting challenges.
- Develop respectful and cooperative relationships with co-workers, including a willingness to assist where needed.
- Perform other job-related duties within the scope of this job classification as assigned.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry parts and standards.
- Participate in cycle counting as needed.
- Maintain parts room in a safe and orderly condition.
- Assist with parts delivery and/or pick up.
- Operate fork and scissor lifts when necessary for storing and retrieving materials and loading and unloading vehicles.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- This position requires working knowledge and experience with automotive or heavy-duty truck parts, functions, and repairs; with a preference to heavy-duty trucks.
- Knowledge of purchasing systems, inventory principles, and shop environments.
- Knowledge in methods for obtaining the proper parts needed for repairs and maintenance.
- Ability to exercise resourcefulness and ingenuity in gathering information from parts manuals, manufacturers, websites and other sources to determine acceptable parts and/or substitute parts.
- Critical thinking skills to recognize related parts needed in addition to the parts requested for certain types of repairs.
- Ability to use basic hand tools.
- Active listening skills with excellent phone skills.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain composure under stress.
- Must be quality conscious, detail-oriented and pay close attention to accuracy.
- Highly professional, dependable and demonstrated ability to work alone and have confidence in decisions.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend and verbally communicate in English.
- Possess excellent customer service skills as well as the ability to perform recordkeeping functions in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to perform all operations within acceptable quality and time standards.
We obviously have some key requirements in terms of what we are looking for in an employee. Ideally, you will have the following qualifications – but if you don’t check all of the boxes then we’d still like to hear from you if you think you can clearly demonstrate your ability to excel in the role.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- PA Commercial Driver’s License with air brake & tanker endorsement is preferred, a valid driver’s license is required.
- A minimum of 3-5 years industry experience (parts clerk, customer service and inventory control) at an automotive level or heavy-duty truck level; HD truck experience strongly preferred. Will consider others with a strong mechanical background or technical experience.
- Microsoft Office programs – intermediate skills.
- Effective communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent problem-solving skills required.
- Must be a self-starter and have a high level of personal drive for success.
- Ability to work in a high performance, fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to take ownership and responsibility.
- Trustworthy, responsible, organized and detailed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Standing and Walking: Standing for extended periods of time and/or walking distances (1 or more miles).
- Sitting: Ability to work in a seated position for extended periods of time.
- Lifting: Ability to safely lift up to 50 pounds; use proper lifting techniques including bending at the knees.
- Climbing: Ability to ascend 10 ft. or more up ladder(s).
- Manual Dexterity: Ability to perform multiple work activities requiring a significant level of physical and mental coordination and manual dexterity; repetitive tasks.
- Visual: Ability required includes close, distance and depth perception; acuity for driving; reading literature; industry warning signs and instruments; and computer screens.
- Mobility: Ability to operate a motor vehicle, and reach, push, pull, stoop, bend, and squat.
- Reflexes: Ability to quickly and automatically respond to emergency and safety situations.
Work is performed indoors with exposure to noise, vibration, dust, fumes, gases, paint and potentially hazardous and non-hazardous materials. Work is in and around moving vehicles and machinery.
- Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Occasional overtime may be required
- No supervisory responsibilities for this position.
- 5% - occasional daytime travel
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Glick Fire retains the right to change or assign other responsibilities at any time with or without notice.
Glick Fire is committed to hiring a diverse and qualified workforce. We will not consider any characteristic or category protected by state or federal law in hiring or employment decisions, including but not limited to race, national origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, status as a parent, or genetic information.