The Jack of All Trades must possess a PA CDL and perform a wide variety of maintenance duties, such as facility maintenance, grounds maintenance and apparatus maintenance, including preventative, emergency, cosmetic and routine maintenance and regular inspections. The nature of the work requires an emphasis on safe work practices, sustained physical effort, troubleshooting, problem solving, attention to detail, customer service and time management. The Jack of All Trades will work alongside other customer service employees to achieve optimum efficiency and excellent customer service, in keeping with the values and vision of Glick Fire Equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate and reinforce the Glick Fire core values and vision statement.
- Project and assert a favorable image and culture with employees, customers, and vendors.
- Demonstrate by personal example the service excellence and integrity expected from all employees by representing Glick Fire in a professional manner within our company, to the general public, and with other organizations.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with customers, to encourage repeat and referral business.
- Maintain a professional appearance and behavior.
- Proactively request assistance from manager.
- Report employee commendations or issues to manager.
- Facilitate problem resolution, both internally with co-workers and externally with vendors and customers.
- Recommend new approaches, processes, and procedures to continually improve the efficiency of the Bird-In-Hand facility and all Glick Fire facilities.
- Provide professional, courteous customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Light facility maintenance – must have a working knowledge of plumbing, electrical, carpentry and building maintenance.
- Grounds maintenance – including lawn maintenance, landscaping and snow removal.
- Light apparatus maintenance - perform preventative and routine maintenance.
- Drive emergency vehicles to and from customer locations, GFE facilities or vendor facilities. May include occasional overnight travel.
- Wash and detail apparatus.
- Work with other technicians in performing preventative maintenance and repairs.
- Verify vehicle serviceability by conducting test drives.
- Ensure quality control to all vehicles in our care and custody.
- Ensure a clean and safe working environment.
- Maintain and wear all required safety and health personal protective equipment.
- Parts Runner – provide fast and efficient service in picking up and delivering parts orders.
- Assist with the parts department cycle counting.
- Report building and equipment repair needs to manager.
- Help in the shop when needed.
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as company policies and procedures.
- Work collaboratively within the company to advance values of teamwork, innovation, customer service, professional development and meeting challenges.
- Complete work orders as assigned in a timely and professional manner.
- Perform other job-related duties within the scope of this job classification as assigned.
- Experience operating a forklift and a manlift.
- Ability to travel (drive or fly) out of town and occasionally stay overnight.
- Must be hard working, dependable, flexible and self-motivated.
- Ability to stay on task, work with minimal supervision, have confidence in decision making, and possess excellent time management.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- This position requires working knowledge and experience with automotive or heavy-duty truck parts, functions, and repairs; with a preference to heavy-duty trucks.
- Knowledge of a service department and shop environment.
- Knowledge in methods for obtaining the proper parts needed for repairs and maintenance.
- Ability to use basic hand tools, lawn mower, snow blower, etc.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaborative skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to maintain composure under stress.
- Must be quality conscious, detail-oriented and pay close attention to accuracy.
- Highly professional, dependable and demonstrated ability to work alone and have confidence in decisions.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend and verbally communicate in English.
- Possess excellent customer service skills as well as the ability to perform recordkeeping functions in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to perform all operations within acceptable quality and time standards.
We obviously have some key requirements in terms of what we are looking for in an employee. Ideally, you will have the following qualifications – but if you don’t check all of the boxes then we’d still like to hear from you if you think you can clearly demonstrate your ability to excel in the role.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Must have a valid Pennsylvania Commercial Driver’s License (PA CDL) Class B with tanker (N) and air brake endorsements. This is a safety sensitive position subject to US DOT Drug and Alcohol pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and return to duty testing.
- A minimum of 1-3 years industry experience at an automotive level or heavy-duty truck level; HD truck experience strongly preferred. Will consider others with a strong mechanical background or technical experience.
- Must have experience with Microsoft Office programs – Word, Excel & Access.
- Effective communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent problem-solving skills required.
- Must be a self-starter and have a high level of personal drive for success.
- Ability to work in a high performance, fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to take ownership and responsibility.
- Trustworthy, responsible, organized and detailed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Standing and Walking: Standing for extended periods of time and/or walking distances (1 or more miles).
- Sitting: Ability to work in a seated position for extended periods of time.
- Lifting: Ability to safely lift up to 100 pounds; use proper lifting techniques including bending at the knees.
- Climbing: Ability to ascend 10 ft. or more up ladder(s).
- Manual Dexterity: Ability to perform multiple work activities requiring a significant level of physical and mental coordination and manual dexterity; repetitive tasks.
- Visual: Ability required includes close, distance and depth perception; acuity for driving; reading literature; industry warning signs and instruments; and computer screens.
- Mobility: Ability to operate a motor vehicle, and reach, push, pull, stoop, bend, and squat.
- Reflexes: Ability to quickly and automatically respond to emergency and safety situations.
- Work is performed inside (non-climate controlled) and outside.
- May be subject to exposure to adverse weather conditions, dust, exhaust fumes, chemical fumes, acid, oil, grease, moving mechanical parts and vibration, noise and hazardous materials and equipment common to heavy truck repair shops.
- Work is in and around moving vehicles and machinery.
- Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Occasional overtime may be required
- Occasional overnight travel via vehicle or airplane may be required
- No supervisory responsibilities for this position.
- 50% - daytime travel may be required
- 5% overnight travel
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Glick Fire retains the right to change or assign other responsibilities at any time with or without notice.
Glick Fire is committed to hiring a diverse and qualified workforce. We will not consider any characteristic or category protected by state or federal law in hiring or employment decisions, including but not limited to race, national origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, status as a parent, or genetic information.